Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Goodbye Ron Stone

"Veteran Houston news anchor Ron Stone dies at 72"

Wow. Ron Stone died. If you're outside of Houston, you've probably never heard of Ron Stone, but I grew up watching him on tv every day. He was a fixture on Houston newscasts from 1972 to 1992. He was an anchor at our NBC affiliate KPRC Channel 2, and hosted a weekly program 'The Eyes of Texas' which "focused on unique people, events and places throughout the state of Texas". He was a local celebrity, and really more of a member of the family to most of us. I remember seeing him eating lunch at the counter in 59 Diner about 12 - 13 years ago and being starstruck.

Houston has lost an icon - one of the good 'ole Texan gentlemen. He will be greatly missed.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5776076.html

http://www.click2houston.com/news/15925957/detail.html

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up with Ron Stone. "The Eyes of Texas" inspired me. Ron was so real. We don't expect that from the media. I traveled the roads of Texas for several years. I hit those small towns that Ron visited or wished he had. I had so many stories. I always wanted to be reporting "The Eyes of Texas". I always regretted not having a camera or a journal with me. I always felt like I should follow in his steps. I work in media in the Houston area. It has changed. I am indescriptanitably tell you; there will never be another Ron Stone. This man was real and pulled us in...when we were just seeking the truth. In media - it's hard to discern sometimes.

Ron Stone is who I wanted to be since I was 10 years old....I feel like a dream died tonight.

May his family feel peace in all that he left our community and his family. All Peace To His Family! You are very blessed!

Tonya Butler
i