Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Karaoke Man

Hubby & I were reminiscing recently and brought up KARAOKE MAN. Oh wow, I hadn't thought about KARAOKE MAN in ages!

So... I met Karaoke Man about a month after I moved into my last apartment I lived in while I was single. (was that a sentence?) It was a nice day out and I'd opened my windows to let the breeze in - when some music drifted in. At first I thought it was an outdoor concert down the road, then I realized it was coming from next door. My Asian next door neighbor was singing karaoke, and if that wasn't enough, he had a MAJOR accent and serious difficulty with English. So, instead of hearing "Feelings, nothing more than feelings" I heard"feewing, noting more dan feewing". If THAT wasn't enough, it turned out that was the first of an almost daily serenade of the SAME song from Karaoke Man. Day or night, 2am, 12pm, 3pm, 8am or 4am - it didn't matter. As he went on, he'd get louder and louder until it was coming through the walls. I complained to the apartment managers several times. Of course they died laughing thinking it was the funniest thing they'd heard. I told them you wouldn't think that after your fourth sleepless night of "feewings" vibrating through your walls. They sent him several letters, but he ignored them, and there really wasn't anything they could do - he wasn't breaking any laws, just being an inconsiderate neighbor. I'd started dating hubby during this time too. OMG, the first time he heard Karaoke Man, he nearly died. Again, of course it's funny the first time you hear it - around 5pm, but oh wow was hubby ticked off the first time it woke him up at 3:00am. After the 4th or so night of it, he asked me, "does he EVER stop?" Nope! That's his favorite pass time!

I was tortured with Karaoke Man for about 4 - 6 months until he moved out. Wow - I' never loved silence so much in my life. The new neighbors weren't perfect, they had a noisy kid who loved to play on the landing right outside my front door. But I didn't care, I'd take a noisy kid any day over "feewing, noting more dan feewing"!

0 comments: