Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Years Eve Recap... very disappointing

I am so sad... here I was planning on getting totally FUBARed with my friends New Year's Eve and I barely got tipsy!

The evening started out with me making a last minute dash to HEB. Never send me to a grocery store in a rush, planning a party, and hungry - it never ends well. I ended up leaving the store with $100 in chips & dips, snacks, marshmallows for roasting, and a cake! After loading the car with my 1,000 bags of groceries and about half of my liquor cabinet, I texted Jene' at 5pm saying we were on our way and would be there in an hour. She replies back with a "great! btw, I bought snacks!" Uh-oh... I thought we'd worked that out, but unfortunately not and she stocked up on food too. So, for four people we had 5 kinds of dip, 4 kinds of chips and crackers, celery & carrots for dipping, several kinds of cheeses, sausage & 3 kinds of lunch meat, the cake, the marshmallows, and probably several other things I can't remember... Needless to say, we didn't worry about getting hungry the whole night!

We kicked off the night at 6-ish or 7-ish with a buttery nipple shot (Buttershots & Bailey's), and I made a chocolate martini. That's when my new tiny stomach YELLED at me and told me that it doesn't like liquor - especially shots. So, my first shot ended up being my last too. I finished my martini, had a Bailey's & cream, and then switched to water for the rest of the night. Ugh... it was just enough liquor to make me sleepy, but not enough to get me drunk.

We spent most of the evening watching 2 Suzanne Westenhoefer comedy specials on tv - she's one of my absolute FAVORITE comedians. I'd planned a whole night of drinking games (quarters or asshole anyone?), board games, and/or maybe marathon spades. But nope nuh-huh, none of that! My mellowness from my tiny bit of alcohol must've been contagious because we just sat around talking after that. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and TONS of fun, but my God it was so different from the NYE parties of my 'youth'! We counted down the clock at midnight, watched fireworks from the front porch, got our traditional smooches, and I talked to my mom - also tradition. Then off to bed for night night time!

I was awake by 6am and up & moving by 7:30am - about the time everyone else got up. We sat around drinking coffee and watching Good Morning America until it was time to go home. Wow... no hangovers, no queasy tummies, no sleeping until noon... When did I grow up?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, no more getting drunk for you, it seems.

or even buzzed for that matter :x