Wednesday, January 30, 2008

TAMPAX in Africa - eeewwwwww

So I'm watching music videos on Yahoo last night, and as usual before the one of the actual videos came on, I had to sit through a 30 second commercial -- that's always annoyed me, but I deal - anyway... So, I see an African girl on the screen and the announcer starts talking about how she has to stay home from school one week of every month... huh?? Okay now I'm intrigued... the announcer continues with the below message:

For some girls in Southern Africa, getting their period means missing school for several days each month. That's because they don't have access to something many of us take for granted: feminine protection.

What?? Whoa! I don't want to know that!

It All Starts With A Pad: For many of the girls, this will be the first time they receive pads on a regular basis. They will learn how to use pads properly and have the opportunity to ask questions and talk openly about their bodies' changing needs.

Turns out Always and Tampax have a foundation that donates pads & tampons to poor girls in Africa. Really now - do we need a separate charity for that? I don't want to know about that! Just the same as I don't want to know about their rampant hemorrhoid problems or diarrhea. Can't that just fall under a bigger charity's domain? I donate to several charities and foundations, including (RED) and ONE - both African charities - and UNICEF. Can't UNICEF handle the feminine protection issues? Okay, okay, fine... if there has to be a separate foundation - and yay for Always & Tampax for taking the initiative -- do they HAVE to advertise with pop-up commercials on Yahoo? Can't they put ads in product boxes, women's magazines, and other websites? Maybe run a commercial during The View or Ellen Degeneres Show? I don't know, just a thought...

P.S.
Just to show my support... here's the website: http://www.protectingfutures.com/

0 comments: