Sunday, February 3, 2008

Big Dream Bed

I just bought a new bed and I swear it's the biggest & most comfortable bed in existance...

A few weeks ago, my husband & I decided that it was time to get a new mattress & box springs. AND even though we were still really attached to our black iron bed - being a queen frame, we finally admitted that it was just too small & we needed to finally upgrade to a king bed. Man, I hate that! I LOVE our queen iron bed. We've had it forever and it's solid, so it'll last for decades to come. It's also a fun story to explain where we bought it. We bought it from a guy on the side of the road at the Westheimer Art/Street Festival when we were dating back in 1995. This guy told us that he had a shop in Mexico - he'd find patterns etc in the higher end furniture catalogs and take the pictures to the guys in Mexico to make for about half of the price. Then he'd bring the furniture back here & sell at festivals etc. Our bed cost us a whopping $400 - which back then was a HUGE amount (since we were still young & broke). We bought a queen because 1) it's all the guy had and 2) we were still living in apartments with smaller bedrooms.

While we upgraded the rest of our bedroom furniture to this really nice Thomasville set a couple of years ago, we were still hanging on to the iron bed and matched all the new furniture to it. Neither of us wanted to suggest getting rid of the bed. But we finally faced the truth a few weeks ago and admitted that we're completely cramped in that bed, and we really do have the room in the bedroom for a king bed.

So, we went to Star Furniture where we bought the rest of our bedroom suite to see if they had a matching or complimentary bed. We ended up with a GORGEOUS king sleigh bed frame and the most comfortable mattress in the world. I felt so sorry for the delivery guys though - this bed is freaking HUGE! We were honestly scared there for a bit that it wouldn't fit up the staircase & through the door. We almost had to remove the upstairs bannister rail, but luckily they were able to squeeze it in without needing to demo anything. It's PERFECT for our room. It matches our other bedroom furniture perfectly and is exactly our style. I LOVE going to bed at night... just sinking into it and snuggling in for the night. I can't wait to spend my first Lazy Hazy Sunday in bed - sleeping in until whenever and spending the whole day in bed reading, watching tv, dozing or whatever else comes to mind ;-). We don't get many of those anymore - not with a 6 year old running around the house...

P.S. I forgot to mention that 5 of us sleep in the bed every night. Hubby & me, plus 3 cats. They are SO excited about the new bed. They keep staring at it in awe - their little furry brains can barely comprehend! Anyway in the old bed, it was hubby on his side and Lily, Shelby, Willow & me on our side. The girls learned early on that "daddy" doesn't like to share his side of the bed. He has a technique we call "kitty express elevator" where he doesn't even wake up, he just shoves with all of his might and the cat goes flying off of the bed. I on the otherhand am a total pushover in my sleep, literally! I was trained early on as a kid (by my poodle) that if you push or kick me, I roll or scoot over in my sleep. I've woken up more times than I'd like to count in bizarre pretzel-like positions, with 3 cats sprawled out taking over my whole side of the bed. In the new bed, they can all 3 take their preferred spots and not impede us in the slightest! Lily has her corner up near my pillow (and sometimes ON my pillow), Willow's at the foot of the bed, and Shelby's decided she loves to sleep right in the middle between us. She and "daddy" have reached an understanding that he's ok with her there, as long as she keeps her tail off of his face at night.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.