Friday, April 25, 2008

Letter from CS Lewis

I just had to share this...

I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia for the first time, starting with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. CS Lewis wrote the following dedication for the book:

To Lucy Barfield...

My Dear Lucy,

I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be

your affectionate Godfather,

CS Lewis


One of my favorite sayings (and I have it on my blog profile) is "we don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." Maybe it's because I get my name from Wendy in Peter Pan or maybe because I'm a tad obsessed with Alice in Wonderland, but I don't think we're ever too old for fairy tales. The world can be a magical place filled with fairies and unicorns, trolls and elves, princesses and godmothers, witches and warlocks, and all sorts of mythical creatures and characters. You just have to believe in the magic that's all around and inside each of us.

0 comments: