Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Still alive... still stoned...

Here's my latest health update...

Hubby took me to the ER Monday afternoon. My headache was crippling. I don't think it's hurt that much since I had viral meningitis in 1999. The ER doc gave me an IV cocktail of steroids and pain meds to try to knock it out. It didn't kill the pain completely, but it did dope me up enough that I didn't really care about the pain (which is also a good thing dontcha think?) I'll tell you one thing though, I did not like one of the meds he gave me AT ALL. It really made me just freak out on the insides. Outwardly, I was laying on a gurney, dozing, but inside my head I was battling with myself trying to keep myself down. I got REALLY ansy and just wanted to jump up & run all around the ER. It was really weird. I felt like I was jerking constantly, like having a fit, trying to brush things off of me. But all that was happening on the inside, on the outside, I was laying there happy as a clam. I stayed in the ER for a few hours until the meds could take effect & get the pain under control and then he sent me home to rest. Of course though, the pain came back Monday night as soon as the IV meds wore off -- I just knew that was going to happen.

I went to see my neurologist yesterday - brainstorm with him to see what's causing this and what we can do to make it better. My body has done this before - this is actually my third year in a row to get headaches like this. In the past I've had some sort of health trauma or illness that has thrown my body chemistry off and triggered a migraine. The doc thinks that's the case this time too - that the hand foot & mouth virus triggered the headache. Even though the virus itself is long gone, it really affected my system - stirred up the water so to speak - and it's just going to take time for everything to calm back down and fall back into the correct places. Unfortunately, that means I'll have to deal with the pain until that happens. He told me to stay on my current pain meds and gave me an additional migraine med to take this week. If he's correct and this is definitely just all after-effects of the virus, the meds should take care of it and the headache should be gone completely by Monday. If not, he'll schedule an MRI just to be safe & make sure we don't overlook anything.

0 comments: