Thursday, November 8, 2007

Beware of the Watchtower People!

Oh my God - a couple of WatchTower ladies snagged me at the gas station this morning. I was running REALLY late and of course was out of gas (isn't it always that way?). So, I pull in to Texaco. Now being the multi-tasker that I am, I had my makeup bag sitting on the trunk of my car - I locked the pump so I could let go and stood behind my car putting on makeup as it filled with gas. Let me just say, I looked a tad busy... When the next thing I knew a Lexus pulls up next to me and a woman hops out --- ok, maybe she's lost and needs directions or something. Then I see the flyer in her hand - dammit, I recognize that. It's a WatchTower. The first thing she says is "I can see you're really busy, putting on your makeup and all" (Yes, I am - please go away.) "but I wanted to share this booklet about our children with you." She then told me to keep doing my makeup, there's no reason to stop, while she talks to me. I'm sorry, but my mama taught me better than to ignore someone while she's talking. I HAD to stop & pay attention. So she goes on with her blah blah, and I stand there looking interested while actually thinking about anything/everything but what she's saying. Then thank GOD my pump stops, and I make an excuse about having to finish up quickly & get to work. She smiles, hands me the booklet, and goes back to her car. Ugh! What's next?! The frozen food aisle of the grocery store? The dressing rooms at the mall? The stall in the ladies restroom at the cafeteria??

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me today at the gas station! I was starting to run late for work but I wanted to fill up before the prices went up for the holiday and out of nowhere a lady came up to me as I was topping off. She said she could see I was busy but she wondered if she could leave this magazine about the bible with me. Just to avoid having to further converse with her and get into my personal views I just said, "Sure", and let her leave it on top of the car. I think I'll leave it on my coworkers desk (who's on vacation). It'll be funny to see his reaction when he comes back.

Another anecdotal story to tell you. A month or two ago, I was at a gas station in Western New York at a Native American reservation where the gas is always around 60 cents a gallon cheaper than anything else around. Of course, the lines at peak travel times are quite long. I pull up behind this white minivan as it was the only line that had less than 2 cars in it. She gets up to the pump and waits for the full serve attendant to pump for her. Then she walks inside the store for about 15 minutes. The attendant tops her off and leaves the receipt in her door handle. By this time there's about three more cars behind me waiting. She finally comes back, starts her engine, drives forward 6 inches, puts it in park and rolls the window down. Everyone in line begins honking. She does not move. She tries to get an attendant to come over to her car but as there are only 3 for about 16 pumps they're all quite busy. Finally some time later after everyone in line had become very irate, an attendant came over. I saw her talk to him for a minute, then hand him a booklet and he sat it on top of the gas pump. Finally she drove off and I could get my gas. I pumped it myself since they were so busy. The guy behind be asks what the heck her problem was... I didn't know but I saw the booklet and picked it up. I think you can guess what it was ... yes, the watchtower. I hope they don't think they're building bridges by doing crap like that. Maybe I should find out where they shop and hand them copies of Hustler. Oh well, thanks for blogging about your gas station JW experience. It was fun to read about someone else they've attempted to proselytize.