Monday, June 23, 2008

Chick Fil-A

Why on earth is Chick Fil-A so popular? Do they salt the waffle fries with cocaine or something? I admit, I'm a Chick Fil-A fan myself, but I just don't get it. Why is the restaurant ALWAYS swarming with people - every location, all the time? The drive-thru line is what truly baffles me. Every time I go to ANY location (there are 4 close by) there are a minimum of 12 - 15 cars in the drive-thru. That's what I don't get. Today at lunch there were about 20 in the drive thru line - it wrapped around the building, through the parking lot, and into Target's parking lot. I've seen the line at another location wrap around the building, through the parking lot, and spill out onto the freeway feeder, backing up traffic on the road. THAT's what I don't understand. There's no way you could get me to wait in a drive-thru lane that long. It's JUST FOOD. That line has to be 20 minutes long at least! And yes - it's always mass chaos inside too with kids running all over the place, moms chasing toddlers or feeding infants, lines to order and lines to pick up food - but it always seems like an organized chaos. They have so many registers open, there are never more than 2 people in front of me. Plus, they crank out the food so fast, they have your order on the counter pretty much by the time you hand over your cash. If there was a line or wait inside as long as in the drive-thru, I could guarantee you they'd not get any of MY money.

Anyway... I just don't get it. I've never seen crowds like that at any of the other 1,001 fast food restaurants around. Okay - maybe once at Krispie Kreme when they just opened their Houston location, but that was just initial mass hysteria. The lines totally died down after the first couple of weeks. But - name any of the burger or chicken places, none of them have swarms of people like Chick Fil-A. Weird...

I guess it might be one of the great mysteries of life that we'll never learn the answer to... though I think it might have something to do with suburban church-going folk and soccer moms... hmm...

0 comments: