Friday, June 13, 2008

Miss Observant

So... I'd been in the gargantuan parking lot at the new office 4 times on Tuesday (in the morning, out to lunch and back, and going home at 5pm) and three times Wednesday... on my 8th trip through the lot (heading to the car to go home Wednesday evening), I was walking and talking with my coworker when she asked me if I'd noticed how the other cars were parked. Umm... no?? I hadn't paid any attention the other cars. She pointed out that all of the other cars were backed in (nose out). Huh?? So I looked around - they were!! ALL of them! Wow - I'm so clueless sometimes. Not once did I notice that out of about 300-400 cars, MINE was the ONLY one parked nose in. My coworker said she was surprised security hadn't said anything to me. Apparently it's required by law. Since we have a plant on site, OSHA requires every car to be parked nose out in case there's an emergency causing everyone to evacuate. The theory is that there won't be as much confusion and congestion in the parking lots, and everyone will be able to leave quickly and smoothly.

Okay, I just want to point out - I learned to drive in Louisiana where the driving test to get my license was 4 right turns at stop signs and pulling into a parking spot (nose in I might add). I don't do well in reverse. I tend to hit things. This is going to be interesting. Either I'm going to get a crash course on backing in to parking places correctly, or my insurance company is going to stay busy with my claims. I wonder if they'll set up a 1-800 number just for my claims. 1-800-wendyhitme or http://www.wendyhitme.com/

0 comments: